May 13 2011
I’ve written about BoxCar previously in this Article, it’s a fantastic tool for receiving update notifications from all of your Social Networks, and here’s a specific example of a good use for the App, receiving a notification on your iPhone whenever a Specific User posts on Twitter.
BoxCar can be installed by searching for Boxcar in the Apple AppStore.
In this Scenario you might want to receive a notification whenever a Specific User or Service posts an update on Twitter, eg perhaps you want to be notified whenever Stephen Fry or a local weather service or as in this example Tech journalist Kate Russell posts an update. This is easy to do through the use of BoxCar and Twitter.
Firstly you need to create a list in Twitter containing just the account you want to receive notifications for:
- Search for and find the Twitter Time Line of the User that you want to follow.
- Click on the list icon and select create a list as seen in the image below.
3. Give the list a logical name and click on Save List
4. The List will now be visible under the List Menu, and will be displayed by its full name. It’s this name that you will need to enter into the BoxCar App.
The Twitter list is now configured so we need to enter its details into Box Car
1)Load the BoxCar App and click on the Add a Service icon, this will display the list of Services that BoxCar Supports.
2) Select Twitter List from the service list and this will bring up the Settings screen for the service.
3) Give the Service a suitable name and enter the full name of the Twitter List you have created into the List Name Box and click on Save.
The Service is now configured and you should receive a notification whenever your specified user posts on Twitter.